This post is also available in: Ελληνικα (Greek)
Cycling is an excellent endurance sport not only because it keeps you fit and trains your heart, but also because it is the occasion to meet people, to go places and to have unique experiences like a group night cycling tour downtown.
Why you need a cycling jersey
Those who consider starting cycling as a regular sports activity, may consider cycling clothing as a nice to have eccentricity. After all, why not bike in your sweats and t-shirt instead of wearing a fluo, form-fitting top and lycra pants?
The truth is, however, that cycling clothing improves your performance on the bike and increases your safety. After a while, new cyclists realize how true this is.
There are three main reasons why you need a cycling jersey if you are taking biking seriously:
The snug fit of the cycling jersey improves your aerodynamics, which is important for a cyclist, especially if you are competing. A t-shirt that flaps around you as you bike drags wind and slows you down.
- The technical fabrics from which a biking jersey is made wick moisture away from your body and allow you to balance your temperature, making training more pleasant and safe for you.
- The strong colors and reflectors make you more visible to vehicle drivers in the city and at night, protecting you from accidents.
How to choose your bike jersey
A high-quality biking top has many features that you should consider:
1. Good fit. A good cycling top should fit snugly on your body without you needing to opt for a smaller size than what you usually shop for. The garment should fit well without restraining your movement, especially at the armpits and neck.
The jersey should also be long enough to cover you without you needing to pull it down while on the bike. The most usual position on the bike is to bent over your bars, a good biking top is shorter at the front, to avoid lots of material gathering while bending. It is longer at the back, to cover your back at all moments.
2. Material. Cotton is not a good material for training clothes, as it absorbs and keeps moisture on your body. Choose a jersey made from quick-dry polyester, which allows for breathability while wicking moisture away from your body.
Athlon fabrics also offer UVA protection, which is really great if you are cycling in a sunny place, like Greece.
3. Pockets. When you train or compete, you probably want to have with you your mobile phone, an energy bar or gels, or simply your credit card and some cash. The best way to carry these personal items while biking is to have rear pockets at the back of your jersey. Front pockets are not very practical as you bend over your bars. They are not easily reachable and the more bulky items may bother you while cycling. Rear pockets are easy to reach while on the bike, and don’t strain your movement.
4. Full front zip. Full front zip jerseys are great for ventilation. You can zip and unzip them quickly as needed, while biking, if you feel cold or hot. A good quality zip is a real asset for bike jerseys.
5. Short or long sleeves. Depending on the ambient temperature, you may prefer short or long sleeves.
6. Style. For safety reasons, we suggest vibrant, fluo colors that make you visible to the traffic around you. Otherwise, there are so many biking jerseys on the market that you will surely find one that fits your style and preferences.
Design your own cycling jersey with Athlon
And if you don’t? What if you need a special jersey with your sponsors for a particular competition, or a jersey for your bike team? No worries! Athlon can help you design and print your very own cycling jersey, with the design and colors of your choice.