This post is also available in: Ελληνικα (Greek)
Compression grappling spats have become a trend in recent years, not only in no Gi MMA and grappling sports but also in NBA and NFL. Many athletes use them to train, or wear them under MMA or BJJ shorts to compete, or even under their gi pants.
Compression grappling spats offer great comfort during training, but they also provide important hygiene and health benefits.
Compression grappling spats health benefits
There are numerous health benefits from wearing compression spats, and we know this from medical research. Compression socks have been used for patients with poor blood circulation for many decades. Our knowledge on athletic compression wear is not very extended for the moment, but as athletes in grappling shorts (like Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu) wear compression garments more, research on the topic also develops.
Based on the current medical knowledge on compression, it seems that there are many important health benefits for athletes who wear compression leggings:
Compression spats improve blood circulation and keep the muscles warm during training, avoiding strain and fatigue. They also improve and speed up the warm-up before training or competition.
- It seems that, because compression leggings minimize muscle vibrations, they help avoid muscle injury.
- A very interesting research finding is that compression wear makes the athlete have a more acute sense of compressed muscles. The more pressure is applied, the more messages reach the brain. It is believed that this increased sense helps make more precise, controlled movements. It also helps athletes feel their limits in time to avoid injury.
- Studies have shown that compression wear speeds up muscle recovery after training and competition because they decrease swelling and soreness. The applied pressure helps the body to get rid of waste after training.
- Compression leggings are made from materials that wick sweat away from sensitive body areas, preventing from chaffing and rush.
- Because they cover the whole lower body, the protect the fighter from bacteria and microbes that come from your adversary or from mats that have not been cleaned very meticulously.
- Compared to fighting shorts, the spats protect better the legs and knees from mat friction.
The fighting benefit of compression spats
From a fighting point of view, many fighters who prefer spats say that the leggings increase friction and improve grappling where the legs are involved.
There is a great variety of compression spats on the market, from plain black to colorful. In Athlon we love intricate designs and colors, elastic reinforced stitching and light materials that make your grappling and BJJ spats extremely comfortable and durable.